-Revathy, II B.A.English
-Swetha, II B.A.English
- The month started with the news of the resignation of Mr.Urjit Patel, Governor of The Reserve Bank, who cited personal reasons for his resignation. Amidst the controversies regarding the interference and conflict between the Central government and the RBI, this resignation has given rise to many more questions. Mr.Patel thanked the Government and all his colleagues in a statement issued by the RBI.
The President appointed Mr.Shaktikantha Das as the new Reserve Bank Governor on the 12th of this month. The new Reserve Governor acquired the office with immediate effect. Mr.Das was formerly the Secretary of the Revenue and Finance ministries and currently a member of the 15th Finance Commission.
- The results of the recent general elections in five states have jolted the nation revealing the new trends in electoral politics. The Indian National Congress emerged victorious in the states of Rajasthan, Chhattisgarh and Madhya Pradesh while regional parties took a toll in Mizoram and Telangana. In Mizoram, Mizo National Front acquired 26 out of 40 seats establishing a clear victory in the state. Telangana stood with Telangana Rashtra Samithi (TRS) for an extended term.
- The UK court ordered the extradition of Mr.Vijay Mallya earlier this month. Mr.Mallya who has been under trial for fraud and conspiracy is currently taking refuge in the UK. But now, owing to the reasons and arguments put forward by India, the UK court has ordered the deportation of Mr.Mallya and has ordered the payback of money. Mr.Mallya was found guilty in defaulting in the payment of crores of rupees from public sector banks. In a later statement, Mr.Mallya assured former Kingfisher employees that 100 crores will be spent in paying their pending salaries.
- 4. Delhi is going through its worst winter with the temperatures dipping into 4 degree per celsius. It is way lower than the average rates of temperature in the past years. Andhra Pradesh and Tamil Nadu are also going through a dip in temperature. Despite the cyclones and the low pressures formed in the Bay of Bengal, Chennai has not received its usual share of rains making it worse for the upcoming summer.
- The Indian media was perpetually excited this month as popular celebrities tied the knot. The wedding wave began earlier this month with the wedding of actress Priyanka Chopra and American singer Nick Jonas in Jodhpur. As the third week came in, all eyes were on the grand Udaipur wedding of Isha Ambani and Anand Piramal. Later,badminton players Saina Nehwal and P.Kashyap announced their low key wedding through Instagram.